Saturday, August 8, 2009

your mind says go but your body says no...that's muscular dystrophy

So it's apparent from my blog that when I go back to work I am too tired/busy to do much else. But since it's gross outside, looks like my four days off will actually be used for relaxing instead of gallivanting to the beach or something.
I volunteered for Muscular Dystrophy today. They have a drive at Safeway's across Winnipeg to raise money for research and equipment for people with MD. The fire department has always been a huge supporter of MD so I thought I'd do my part on this rainy Saturday. I was the first person there this morning and was on my own at the table for almost two hours. I find it super awkward to ask people for money. I also have "phantom shyness". haha, I have myself convinced that I'm shy or something. Then at some point my brain remembers that I'm definately not!! So once I started talking to customers and getting some of the employees to come check out the display I felt way more comfortable. A few ladies that have MD showed up to volunteer with their families. It was really interesting because I've never met anyone with muscular dystrophy before. The one woman is 40 and only found out she had it 4 years ago. I can't even imagine how devastating that would be. She said that she went through a period of anger, and that it was really frustrating through the diagnosis process. Today she is a happy woman, sitting in her wheelchair with her 13month old grandbaby in her arms. I give these people a lot of credit for the bravery and strength that they have to battle this disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment